Getting through the workout
I went to my running workout yesterday. A few things I have to mention:
- Music helps get into the running (or whatever other exercise). I left my ipod in the car because it was raining. I know it makes me faster.
- Without music, it’s easier to crap-talk myself. It’s pretty easy to crap-talk myself, and I don’t think it’s just because I’ve just missed many workouts because of a cascade of viruses and baby ear infections and the like. I don’t think it’s because I feel sluggish from all the sickness, and "run" like it. I think it’s easy to do.
- It’s hard to keep the pep talk going. The best is when I let go and experience what I’m doing. (music helps that too).
- I know this isn’t just me- or just ADHD. My track club buddies confirmed similar experiences.
- Pros of working out alone: I don’t feel like I have to "catch up" to everyone else or go at a specific tempo
- Cons of working out alone: I have less motivation, pay more attention to too many details of what I’m doing and thinking, and it’s LESS FUN.